Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Persistence and 2 of my Character Doll Favorites


Whew...the last few days have been a roller coaster for me (personal stuff..yuk) Anyway, I'm back and on with the sharing, yes? I wanted to get out of my studio for a moment (it's freakin' hot up there!) It's like I don't have to bake the dolls in an oven... I just turn the ceiling fan off and they're fully baked in about 15 min. LOL! I just wanted to post some more photos of dolls I've done in the past and get your thoughts, suggestions, experiences, or just have you take a look at what soemone else is doing. For those of you out there who are working on getting better at making dolls or miniatures or whatever your passion is, don't get discouraged when things don't seem to go the way you think they should. Trust in that drive you have to keep working and when it finally does turn out well, the feeling will be even nore precious and well earned. You know when you've done well with something because you can feel that sense of ...WOW that came from me (even if no one else sees it at the time, they'll come around). I've said it before...I had never thought about or even wanted to make dolls when I stepped into Jamie's class years ago. Who would have thought I could ever care enough about it to spend a huge amount of time working on it and writing a blog. Until a month ago, I wasn't even exactly sure what a blog really was. I would just nod when people talked about this one or that one. Well here I am and so far, so good. I'm still enjoying and the amount of good and constructive feedback has been humbling. Enough with the blah blah blah... on with the pictures. The photo quality is not that good as at the time I didn't realize how important good picture taking was as valuable a skill as wigging when it comes to being a semi-professional doll maker (Even though Jamie KEPT telling me!). I know better now and have been brought into the digital age (thank you Martha). Here are Mrs. Slocombe from BBC tv's Are You Being Served? and Edward Scissorhands. You figure out which...ha! I did NOT make these for sale (copyright nazi's take note!) I would never try and make a profit off of someone else's property (intellectual or otherwise) without permission. I've had it done to me and let's just say it hurts everyone involved. But seriously, folks, don't let things knock you down...do what you know is in your heart to do and be true to that. The rest of it is just someone else's drama.
Peace, love and sooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllll(train).
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike

    I LOVE Mrs Slocombe...and I knew exactly who she was before I read the text....that's a sign of a good sculpt :-)

    I have only just completed my first sculpt and as bad as he is....you are so right that the WOW I made this feeling is unbeatable.

    ReplyDelete